Friday, February 26, 2010

Happy Wednesday! (Sacrifices) (02/10/10)

Sup guys,

(for the purposes of this email, suffering = sacrifice)

a talk earlier this week on the subject of suffering for God led me to reread psalm 51 and made me really reevaluate the things i do/sacrifice for my church. We're promised suffering and hardship if we were to truly follow Christ. we're also promised that our present suffering aren't even gonna begin to compare to the glory that will be revealed in us. What I want to make sure is that the sacrifices i make really are counted towards God's glory and not my own twisted satisfaction. While i shake my head at franciscan monks who'd flog themselves for the purposes of purification from fleshly desires, how easy it is to say to God "look at all that I have done/suffered for You!" Which is silly, since every second and every cent that I count my own never really belong to me anyways.

Wat's amazing is that God's not terribly interested in my offerings, He's interested in me. When God said he wanted our first fruits and the best our efforts have to offer, He's not being greedy. Why would an infinite God possibly need my measly 10%? Rather it is meant to be a measure of an inward transformation. The trap here is to not confuse the measuring stick with the true offering. While He's not all that interested in my 10%, or the time spent in prayer, or efforts to love my neighbours; He is supremely interested in the heart that decides to willingly offer these things. When Paul writes that "each person should give what they have decided in their hearts to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver" he's not excusing the reluctant from worship/offerings, he is encouraging them to reach a place where sacrifices made in love comes naturally.

Encouragement for the week: Do not confuse sacrifice with genuine worship, the heart of a true worshipper is one which is broken, humbly repentant, and for whom suffering/sacrifice is not just second nature - but first, third, fourth, etc as well.

May we glorify our Lord even in our sufferings,

Edward

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." - Psalm 51:17

"Then the Lord said to Cain, 'Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.'" - Genesis 4:6-7

"The sacrifice of the wicked is detestable - How much more so when brought with evil intent!" - Proverbs 21:27


P.S. Cute dog that smiles and wags its tail whenever it's near its owner =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdh4z94xYM

No comments:

Post a Comment