Friday, February 26, 2010

Happy Wednesday (Purity) (09/23/09)

yo

i think psalm 119 is the longest psalm (AND longest chapter) in the bible...its an acrostic poem where the verses of each stanza begins with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet - so one stanza per letter. I originally planned on zooming through this chapter in one day, only to find myself unable to move beyond the second stanza, Beth v9-16, simply cause it was that profound.

It dealt with spiritual purity in an impure world and opens with a very honest question, "how can a young man (or woman) keep his/her way pure?" then proceeds to answer it. The psalmist encourages us to seek after God and to bury His words/laws in our hearts. More importantly, he encourages us to recount these laws and to think upon them daily. In other words, its not just read the bible, its reminding ourselves while we're going about our lives so that when troubles and decisions arises, we're ready to meet them with a God centered attitude (same concept as those "sentences" john piper likes so much). It could be as simple as starting with the ten commandments, it could be instilling an attitude of humility and constantly applying it, it could be a conscious effort to be more compassionate to people, for us guys - it could be having the glory of God on our minds while we talk to girls. Watever the case may be, my own encouragement to us this week is two fold:

1) read. u can't know God's law unless u dig for it.

2) apply. God's laws are useless and forgotten unless we actively think on them throughout the day and apply whenever we can.

Lastly, and i LOVE this part. This psalm has two characters who're working towards the psalmist's purity, namely the psalmist himself AND God. I back this statement up with verses like "do not let me stray from your commands" and " teach me your decrees." We're totally not alone in this, as if God simply made up laws and left us to our own devises. Ask God for help in all areas of purity, i've found that He is always faithful to answer =)

happy wednesday!

edward

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hiddent your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." - Psalm 119:9-16

"for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good pleasure/purpose." Phil 2:13

Penguin: 1
Orca: 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJaMtBKnN-I&feature=related (lol peng WIN at 2:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment