Friday, February 26, 2010

Happy Wednesday (Rejection) (01/13/10)

Hey guys,

It's been a while! Bible reading has admittedly been a lil dry for me recently (could use prayer in that regard) but today's encouragement came from an unlikely source. I was listening to the radio on my drive to work earlier this week and heard an interview of a singer - can't remember the name - who said humans are born with the intrinsic need to create and the intrinsic fear of rejection. He went on to say how these two characteristics are dangerous together because everytime someone rejects one of his songs/creations, he's tempted to see it as a personal rejection.

This is me. while im by no means a song writer or even uber creative, i've felt the sting of rejection many times in the past when one of my projects or endeavours was looked down upon by others - sometimes by people closest to me. The very notion that these criticisms are actual personal attacks coming from beloved friends/family is ridiculous, yet the hurt and doubt we feel with every rejection is still there. I always need to remind myself that my value is not found in my work, but in how God sees me. I think its only by keeping this fact clear in my head that I would be able to stand firm in my identity as a child of God even when my words, works, or intentions are (un)fairly criticized. Keeping that attitude of humility and remembering that we're not meant to be glorifying ourselves will enable us to "all the more gladly boast about [our] weaknesses" and work/create for the simple joy of worship.

Encouragement for the week, rejections will always come, let's hold onto our identity and worth as children of God. The sting of rejection will never pass, no matter how holy we think we are we're built to yearn for approval, but it should not hinder us from loving God and those around us.


Have a great wednesday!

Edward

"So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labour." - 1 Corinthians 3:7-8


Simon's cat has found snow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgmXrARr6aI

No comments:

Post a Comment