Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Wednesday (Retaliation) (12/08/2010)

Hey Guys,

"For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly... For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example... When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly." 1 Peter 2:19-23

I've noticed over the years that when I am under criticism/attack, whether it is deserved or not, my first impulse is defense. The motivation for my defense is almost always one of significance. How dare this person belittle my worth, or my opinion, or my words/actions! God help me, my defense often even lead me to launch unjust attacks of my own. How different this is from turning other the cheek!

This was a convicting little passage for me. A few things I drew from it this morning, when I am accused and tempted to rush to my defense, I should be mindful of God. I should be centering my worth on God and not the object my accuser is attacking. Since I'm most angry/emotionally affected when something I value highly is attacked, my indignation at such insults should prompt me to examine my life for patterns of idolatry.

Furthermore, Peter harshly reminds us that we are CALLED to suffer unjustly from time to time. I can think of two reasons for God to permit these temporary injustices in our lives. The first is for the purpose of sanctifying us and teaching us to follow Christ's example. The second was found in verse 9 - which tells us that we are chosen for the purpose of proclaiming God's worth. Such that turning my cheek at undeserved insults when I have the power AND the "right" to retaliate would so contradict the way the world operates - that it forces people to see the nature of Christ in me. In this way, I glorify God with my non-resistance.

This passage was written to christians who were persecuted for their faith. While most of us do not face religious persecution on their scale, I think most of us come under fire at some point during our weeks - sometimes undeservedly so. Turning the other cheek goes beyond merely non-retaliation (which is purely surface level) but goes deep into our identity in Christ and his example/mandate to love and bless our enemies. Do not live an abused life or let people take advantage of you, but always think of how best to glorify God. Encouragement for the week, be so "mindful of God" that when you are attacked, you not only accept the insult, but genuinely desire good things for your accuser and for God to be made known.

Happy Wednesday!

Edward

"But I say to you, do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." - Matthew 5:39

"Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.' To the contrary, ''If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." - Romans 12:19-21

Cute/sad clip of ducklings blown off their feet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBLt6Kd9EY

No comments:

Post a Comment