Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Wednesday (Relativity) (09/15/2010)

hey guys,

in followup to my last email on empathy, i was reminded of something over this past weekend. That suffering is relative to a person's ability to handle suffering. In other words, even an Ugandan mother struggling in poverty has no right to roll her eyes at a silicon valley teenager weeping over a recent break up. What the teenager feels is real pain and is something that could be used by God to draw her attention to Himself. This is no trivial matter and God's effort to draw a teenage girl should not be treated with contempt.

I got to work with high schoolers over the weekend and it was a lot of fun! I dont think i've got to work with youth since *I* myself was a youth. Over the course of the weekend tho, I noticed a lot of them struggled with the normal stuff most teenagers struggle with (stuff most readers probably gone thru themselves). I was tempted several times to simply tell them that these things will pass, that stuff like that aren't really such a big deal, and they should essentially MAN UP. I'm glad God gave me enough wisdom to not say those insensitive words, which probably would've earned me the Jerk of the Year award. While what they are going thru may seem relatively minor to me - it is still a very real struggle for them. I have the benefit of experience (ie old age) that allows me to brush off problems that high schoolers genuinely struggle with. My responsibility then, as the big brother type person, is not to belittle them or their struggles but to offer loving counsel and guidance. For me to even experience the urge to talk down their problems simply reveals a lack of humility on my part and a desire to elevate myself above them. It was a wicked thought and one that required repentance. Our God-given wisdom and maturity are not there to glorify ourselves, but to glorify God in edifying/uplifting others and to lovingly lead them into greater maturity.

Encouragement for the week, continuing with the art of empathy, learn to not dismiss the struggles that others go through even if their struggles seem trivial to you. Know that their sufferings are real to them and is put there by God for the purposes of their sanctification - so let us lovingly fulfill that purpose with gentle patience and instructions.

Have a happy wednesday!

Edward

"This 'knowledge' puffs up, but love builds up. If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know." 1 Corinthians 8:1-2

"Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight." Romans 12:14-16

"...but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." Luke 22:32 (our Lord's charge to Peter - and to us)


that's real suffering right there, poor kid =(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikjJOpUxeQ

No comments:

Post a Comment