Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Wednesday (Prayer) (12/22/2010)

Hey Guys,

I've been reading Church Planter by Darrin Patrick, with a few guys from church. It is a blunt little book that starts off by pointing out what qualities good church leaders should and should not have. I'm embarrassed to admit I lack so many good traits and entertain so many bad ones. Perhaps the most notable deficiency I've come across thus far in this self examination is a rich, private prayer life.

Many people are excellent at public prayer. The author insists that the real gauge of spiritual maturity is not the quality of my public prayers but my private ones. This is alarming to me. The beautiful and eloquent lines that flows so easily I pray publicly contrast starkly with the barely coherent, choppy, overly emotion driven, inconsistent brief snatches that characterize my private prayer life. I've noticed this lack in the past but have never been THIS convicted. I was rudely reminded that Jesus essentially likens my prayer pattern to that of the pharisees! Be careful of mistaking such infrequent prayer habits as intimacy with God, the way close friends/family sometimes go for periods without needing to say anything. The truth is, when I fall into such shoddy patterns of prayer I'm rarely in tune with God.

The main objective of prayer is NOT to submit requests, to ask for guidance/help, to thank him, or even to repent of sins. The main objective is and always should be to know God. To know his character, to know what he thinks of me, to know the grace he has extended over my life, and to grow in intimacy with him. I am lovingly reminded that this is not possible with sporadic 30 second prayers.

Encouragement for the week: Look to your private prayer life. How about this, just before I click "Send" on this wednesday email, I'll take the time to pray in a proper and coherent way as I normally would in public. Those who empathize with my deficiency do likewise after you finish reading this email, deal? Lets pursue an active private prayer life.

Happy Wednesday and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Edward

"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6

A Hunter [blank] a Bear (type in whatever in the blank)
http://www.youtube.com/user/tippexperience

No comments:

Post a Comment