Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Wednesday (Cross) (08/18/2010)

Sup guys,

I was reminded this morning of how easy it is to become overly familiar with the cross. To get to the point where the idea of God paying for my sins by dying a criminal's death no longer amazes me. Where thoughts of the cross and all that it means not just in terms of my justification but the promise to draw my sanctification to completion no longer moves me to tears. I lose my desperation to know Jesus. It doesn't matter if the reason for my over familiarity with the cross comes as a result of worldly distractions or a preoccupation with some item of theology, the result is an Edward so much more prone to sin and so much more forgetful of God.

This is not to say we should remain ignorant and never move beyond basic christian dogma, we should grow in our understanding of the things of God. As paul wrote, we should aim to eat solid food, but never at the cost of losing sight of the cross! Understanding what paul meant by him being caught up to the third heaven (2 corinthians) has never kept me from sin. The thought of Christ's sacrifice, however, has kept me from hundreds of stupidities, and led me to repentance for hundreds more. In the end, I think that's what God is looking for, hearts that want to be conformed to his likeness and desperate to know the saviour.

encouragement for the week, take up the habit of renewing your affections for the Lord often - never become so acquainted with the cross that you are no longer moved by it.

Have happy wednesday!

edward

"For I resolved to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him Crucified...that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." - 1 Corinthians 2:-5

didn't feel like scouring utube for a funny/cute video, but here is a chubby bunny to make up for it =D

( \_/ )
(='.'=)
(*)_(*)

No comments:

Post a Comment