Thursday, March 4, 2010

Happy Wednesday (Sin) (03/03/10)

Sup guys,

some observations i made about sin this past week:

we tend to treat sin the same way nonbelievers treat addiction when it's really not hte same thing. realization/acceptance is NOT the first step. I say this because to some degree or another we are all aware of the sins in our lives. That knowledge alone has never moved me a single pace and leaves me constantly stranded in the same struggles, how could i call that a "first step?" for me, the first step is coming to terms with the fact that this sin will not satisfy me, and that God is infinitely greater. It is so important that we replace whatever we sweep out of our lives with God. We're built to have cravings and if the emptiness in us is not going to be filled with God, it will be filled with something else - this is the essence of idolatry. basically, we need believe that we actually WANT God more than we want this addiction.

sometimes we would rely on almost anything rather than God when it comes to dealing w/ sin (does anyone else notice this?): accountability, books, tricks, and scarily enough...even prayer. I find my prayers concerning sin so bland and formulaic sometimes and completely devoid of the repentant spirit God is looking for. While accountability, books, tricks and prayers can all be important tools, they'll only take us so far on the surface level. I do believe that at the core of every spiritual battle i fight against sin, after we strip away all the books and accountability partners and advice givers, there are only 3 players: me, satan, and God. I find myself constantly having to ask "who am I allied with?"

each person is ultimately responsible for what he/she does with sin. while absolute blamelessness is not a requirement for God's followers, active pursuit of holiness is. Encouragement for the week, fight sin with God.

Have a happy wednesday,

Edward

"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first." - Luke 11:24-26

"Be holy, because I am holy." - Leviticus 11:44

This is too cute, i like how the husband shows a naughty side at 1:00.... (thx for sharing this grace!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtyAsiZWktY

No comments:

Post a Comment