Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Wednesday (Teachable) (06/02/2010)

Sup guys,

As many of you know, I've been struggling with my application essay for a few weeks now. Although I submitted various drafts to the scrutiny of a number of people, I found myself resisting a lot of their input. Afterall, this is my life and my essay. what does that person know about what medical schools want to see? isn't that person's grammar worse than mine? before i knew it, i was arrogantly rejecting advice from my own mother! I think that was when i finally realized how pride has taken root in this endeavour right from the outset. Even when i take in suggestions here and there, there was always a resistance - almost as if i'd much rather hear affirmation than justified criticism.

I think one of hte marks of true humility is teachability. to gracefully accept advice from ones we trust. We would never grow if we always refuse guidance from those who have our best interest at heart. It is the same way with God, our pride would make us blind to our own sins as we resist God's guidance. Pride and mistrust is a difficult habit to shed. I think how we view people, our friends and family, is very similar to how we view God. If pride and mistrust prevents us from taking sound advice of friends and family, we'd have no better luck hearing God's criticism.

Encouragement for the week, try to be teachable. be in a place of humility where u're always able to accept possibility of being wrong. Not only does this make you a more pleasant person to be around, you make yourself open to God's sanctifying grace in your life. You would shut out man and God otherwise.

Have a happy wednesday!

edward

"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong." - Anonymous

"Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice." - Provers 13:10 (how tru dat is...)

"If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen." - 1 John 4:20

Not sure if i showed this before but heres another episode of SIMONS CAT! =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuf61OjvoPQ

No comments:

Post a Comment